What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic medicine is the system of primary health care, which works with the individual’s efforts towards the optimal expression of physiological, physical, and mental/emotional health.
What is a Naturopath?
A Naturopath is a person employing a wide array of “natural” modalities, including homeopathy, herbalism, and acupuncture, as well as diet and lifestyle counseling
What is Naturopathy?
Naturopathy is an approach to health care which aims to promote, restore, and maintain health. The following principles underpin the practice of Naturopathy.
The Triad of Health
This describes the connection and interaction between the structural, biochemical, mental, and emotional components of all living beings. Dysfunction in one area invariably leads to disruption elsewhere.
The Uniqueness of the Individual
People are genetically, biochemically, structurally, and emotionally different from one another. Each person responds uniquely to influences whether they are mental, emotional, structural, nutritional, social, or cultural.
The Healing Power of Nature or Vis Medicatrix Naturae
There is a ‘vital force’ or ‘life force’ which drives the self-healing or self-correcting mechanisms of the body.
Naturopaths recognise that:
- Health is More than the Absence of Disease. It is Dependent Upon a Multitude of Factors and Reflects a Harmonious Interaction with Our Environment
- Acute Disease Processes are Different from Chronic Processes and is the Body’s Attempt to Restore Health Often through Enhanced Processes of Elimination
- Suppression of Such Healing Processes Contributes to the Potential for Chronic Breakdown
- Disease Processes Involve Activation of the Body’s Homeostatic Mechanisms. Health is Homeostasis – a Dynamic Equilibrium
- Prevention is Preferable to Cure. An Individual Requires Suitable Foods for Nourishment, Clean Water, Fresh Air, and Sunlight, as well as Appropriate Exercise, Rest, and Relaxation
The defining elements of Naturopathic practise are that Naturopaths:
- Work with the Body’s Own Self-Correcting Mechanisms or Efforts to Maintain Homeostasis
- Endeavour to Address All Aspects of the Triad of Health
- Regard Education and Co-Operation of the Patient as Highly as Treatment of the Patient
- Address Lifestyle Factors Which are Contributing to the Problem and Re-Educate the Patient into a Lifestyle More Conducive to Health
- Aim to Establish Health on a Cellular Level by Improving Circulation and Enervation, Nutrition, Detoxification, and Elimination
Need Some Advice?
Our team are on hand to discuss your queries relating to Naturopathic medicine and herbal treatments